Welcome on site of Ognisko TKKF
the association of physical education
non-profit organisation

Founded in 1988, the association has pursued its policy since 1990.

The main objectives of the association, enclosed into its statute, aimed mainly at children and school pupils, including handicapped children, are the following:

  • equestrian recreation for children and school pupils
  • equestrian recreation for handicapped children
  • hippotherapy

The headquarters of the association is situated in the Fort 49 1/4 "Grębałów" in Cracow, which, at the same time, is a place of realisation of above-mentioned aims.

Equestrian recreation classes are run in two different groups:

  • horse-riding school - classes for beginners
  • advanced horse-riding classes
During winter and summer holiday the association organises special classes for children and school pupils : "Winter in the City" and "Summer in the City".

Hippotherapy for handicapped children has been run since 1991.

Classes for handicapped children are free of charge; for this reason the sources of grants for this program are being constantly sought for by the association.

Apart from year - round classes the association organises occassionally sports-recereational fetes for handicapped children and recreational equestrian competition for participants of recreational classes.

All kinds of activities organised by Ognisko TKKF "Przyjacel Konika" are guided by experienced instructors.


After the seizure of Wawel Castle by austrian army in 1846, on 12th Apr. 1850 a decision about an erection of the Cracow Fortress was officially announced by Francis Joseph, the emperor of Austria. An early project was being realised between 1850 and 1860. The threat of probable war with Russia in 1854 advanced further extension of the fortress. The construction of FS rampart ("Feld Schanze" - field rampart) was started on the foreground of the core and even though the danger had disappeared, the works once begun were continued. The numeration of new objects, starting from Washington Avenue, ran along the clockwise direction. Between 1892 and 1895 two forts of Enheitsfort class (huge armoured fort) and first interfield armoured forts were erected in the northern part of the Fortress. After 1898 the construction of non-typical objects, such as 49 1/4 and 53a, which had extended traditors and deep moats defended from caponiers, took place.


The fort was designed and erected between 1896 and 1899 by lt. Moritz Ritter von Brunner. It was a part of the third, outer ring of the Cracow Fortress, which emerged in the second phase of her modernisation held between 1897 and 1899, as an element of her strongest fortified groups advanced to the north-east outskirts. Alongwith the 49 Krzesławice Fort and 49a dłubnia Fort, permanent battery and infantry ramparts it was b locking a way leading to Proszowice and railway line to Kocmyrzów, which was a manoeuvring line for armoured trains. The building of the 49 1/4 Grębałów Fort is based on strongly transformed model of an armoured fort of close defence designed by E. Gołogórski.
The Fort consists of the following elements: a casemated corps (two-floor, stone-brick-ferro-concrete, infantry positions placed on the roof, an armoured watch turret placed centrally, 4 armoured turrets placed on wings), a T-shaped, ferro-concrete of caponier and traditor with 4 casemates of guns behind mantlets (4 guns for slits on carriage M94) and a caponier with a postern to the main bloc. Staff - consisting of 5 oficers (one of them being a doctor) and 184 soldiers - had also 17 machine-guns. The Fort participated in fights of the First World War, in the first battle of Cracow. On the days of 20-22 November 1914 it supported the counterattack of the 4th CK Army against the 9th Russian Army, which was approaching to the Fortress. In 1918-1919 the Fort's guns were used for arming polish armoured trains setting off to the Ukrainian front. In 1919-1939 the Fort became an element of so-called "Cracow Fortified Camp". Between 1939 and 1945 it served as a Werhmacht magasine. In 1944 it was included by the Nazis to the system surrounding Cracow (so-called "Henry line").
The object was inscribed to the register of relics with the number A-801. Since 1988 it has been administered by Ognisko TKKF "Przyjaciel Konika". Between 1988 and 1992 the Fort was revalorised with the financial help from NFOZK (National Foundation of Revaluation of the Relics of Cracow). After the completion of revaluation works, the Fort may serve as the Museum of the Cracow Fortress.